Lisie School of Nursing » Brief History

Lisie Medical Institution was established in the year 1956 under the auspices of the Late Arch. Bishop of Ernakulam, Mar Augustine Kandathil. The institution had a humble beginning as a 24-bed hospital with one doctor and three nurses. Realizing the need of an institution to provide nursing education, , the Arch. Bishop most Rev. Dr. Joseph Cardinal Pareckattil, the Patron of Lisie Hospital, thought of starting a school of Nursing School attached to Lisie Hospital. And the school was set up in 1960 with one teacher and 11 students. Initially the Nursing School offered Auxiliary Nurse & Midwife Course (ANM) and it continued until 1966.

Refurbishment of the Hospital infrastructure in the year 1963 equipped us with necessary requirements to start the General Nursing and Midwifery Course. We secured the permission from Kerala Government to start the GNM Course with 15 students in 1963. Stundent strength was gradually increased in the following years and presently the student intake per batch is 50. Late Sr. Stephanie M S J was our first principal and she also served as the Administrator of the institution until 1963. Over the years, the institution has seen steady growth and evolved into one of the premier institutions providing Nursing Education.